The TOEFL Exam Overview
The TOEFL iBT Exam Is Made-Up Of Four Distinct SectionsEach section tests a persons ability to Comprehend, Integrate and Utilize various English skills in order to function in a University-type situation with a focus on American English.
What Makes the TOEFL iBT Exam Unique?Unlike other English proficiency exams, the TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) iBT (internet Based Test) exam does not focus on grammar. It is assumed that the person taking this exam already has a high enough degree of English skills to be able to understand the questions and content of the exam.
What The TOEFL iBT Exam Does Test Is:
- The ability to decipher a written text
- To understand key words and phrases within the text
- To understand implied meaning within a text
- To be able to learn new concepts from reading a text
- To understand basic vocabulary and sentence structure
- The ability to decipher various spoken passages of different types
- To understand general meaning of what was spoken
- To understand meaning of what is spoken as a whole rather than translating individual words (phrases & implied meaning)
- To understand tone of voice and voice inflection
- The ability to use English to speak about various subjects with different purposes
- To speak about personal interests, ideas, issues
- To give a preference about certain ideas
- To report about spoken conversation
- To integrate and report about related information from both written and spoken texts
- To report about what is spoken between others and to give an opinion or preference based on spoken information
- To give a summary about spoken lectures
- The ability to write effectively in different formats
- To integrate related information from both a written and spoken source and to effectively write a summary of the information and how it is related
- To write a short essay based on personal interests, ideas, issues
- The ability to perform all of these tasks within a specified time-frame in an online exam setting
What Makes The TOEFL Awesome?!?!Besides NO GRAMMAR, what makes The TOEFL iBT Exam probably the coolest sort of proficiency test available, is that it essentially tests your ability to learn!
So, considering that EVERYONE has the ability to learn (despite the incredible number of people who pretend that they can’t) it is a test that EVERYONE can “pass”, as long as he or she knows how to go about doing each task… (This is where GiveMeSomeEnglish!!! comes in) 😉The last thing that makes this test actually pretty awesome is that, since it tests AUTHENTIC English, there is no “pass” or “fail” – It is graded on a point system.
And an additional aspect of that is, since EVERYONE makes mistakes as a natural part of English (including – if not more-so – native English speakers), it IS possible to make a few mistakes on parts of this exam and STILL get a perfect score!!!
And it is for all of these reasons that I actually like this exam and thoroughly enjoy helping people to excel on The TOEFL iBT Exam.
(If you are not sure what that might be, send me a message and we’ll discuss it.)
If you have any other questions, please leave a comment below.
Have An Excellent Day!